Southern Lehigh School District Volunteers play a vital role in supporting the staff, students and the many activities of our schools. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at SLSD!
PLEASE NOTE: The following information is intended for classroom, school and field trip volunteers (NOTE: volunteer coaches please refer to the Employment Clearances page). If you are being paid for your work with SLSD by paycheck, parent fund or student fund, you are NOT considered a volunteer.
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. In the best interest of the safety and security of our students, Southern Lehigh School District requires the submission of these clearances prior to volunteering. Clearances are valid for one year from the date of issue. The district maintains a complete list of approved volunteers. Approved volunteers are required to sign in at the front office of schools, present a valid photo ID when asked, and wear a volunteer tag while in the building.
To learn about the criminal justice clearances required to volunteer in schools, please see the links and helpful hints below.
PA Access to Criminal History Record Check - This clearance is completed online and is instantly available for you to save and print. Choose New Record Check Volunteer Only. Click the control number to view your results. Click the "Certificate" link to view, save and print your official certificate with the state seal.
PA Child Abuse History Certification - Click "Create Individual Account". The Keystone Key is a user name you create. Follow the site's step-by-step instructions for creating a password. Be sure to keep a record of your Keystone Key and Password since you will need these to access your results. You will receive an email from the site when your results are available, within 14 days of submission. If you prefer to mail this form, please see FORM .
- FBI Fingerprinting Clearance (2 Options)
- If you have been a Pennsylvania resident fewer than 10 consecutive years, you must complete the fingerprinting process. Enroll at IdentoGO and make an appointment for fingerprinting at a location of your choice. The service code for VOLUNTEERS is 1KG6Y3. Payment is made at time of fingerprinting, at the location, by credit card or money order. Personal checks and cash are not accepted.
- If you have been a Pennsylvania resident for the past 10 consecutive years, you may submit the Volunteer Affidavit in place of fingerprinting. School personnel must witness the affidavit, so please visit the school building before signing.
- PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form (Act 24).
Those interested in volunteering are invited to submit required clearances to the Human Resources Office located at 5775 Main Street in Center Valley. Clearance paperwork will be accepted between the hours of 8:30AM and 3:30PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Submitted paperwork must contain all required clearances (incomplete packets will not be accepted).You must present your paperwork in person. Please know that clearance paperwork cannot be accepted in any of our school building offices. Copies will be made for our records and the originals returned to you. We will not be able to provide you with copies of your submitted paperwork in the future, so please be sure to the store your originals in a secure location.
IMPORTANT: Volunteers must provide the Human Resources Office with written notification, no later than 72 hours, after any arrest or conviction of an offense that may constitute grounds for denying participation as a volunteer.
NOTE: Individuals with incomplete paperwork are not qualified to volunteer or chaperone. Persons with incomplete packets will have 30 days to complete/add to their packet. After March 31, 2018 all incomplete packets will be removed from our records. If you have a question concerning the status of your volunteer packet, please feel free to contact Mrs. Beth Funk, Human Resources Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING:
All persons having direct contact with school children should be trained as mandated reporters and understand the procedure to report reasonable suspicion of child abuse. As a SLSD volunteer, the district is required to OFFER Mandated Reporter training. While not required, we ask that you complete this training. Please see the informational and resource links below.
Free Mandated Reporter Training Certification
- The online training takes approximately three (3) hours to complete. Individuals do not need to complete the training in one sitting. The system is designed to allow you the option of competing the training over multiple periods of time.
- To register for the free online training, go to the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center website and click the Registration button. This will take you to a New User registration page. Please select “No” when asked if you are licensed or applying for a license through one of the following boards. After submitting your information, the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center will send you an email with your Username and Password.
Then follow the directions listed below:
- Type in your username and password
- Click “Login”
- Click on the hyperlink under the “Your Courses Section”
rrca-0299: Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse
- Click on the “Click Here” button
- Follow the directions to complete the course
- Print your certificate of completion
- Provide a copy of the certificate to the school.
Thank you for volunteering your time and services to our district and for understanding the importance of complying with these regulations.