Southern Lehigh School District Volunteers play a vital role in supporting the staff, students and the many activities of our schools. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at SLSD!
PLEASE NOTE: The following information is intended for classroom, school and field trip volunteers (NOTE: volunteer coaches please refer to the Employment Clearances page). If you are being paid for your work with SLSD by paycheck, parent fund or student fund, you are NOT considered a volunteer.
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. In the best interest of the safety and security of our students, Southern Lehigh School District requires the submission of these clearances prior to volunteering. Clearances are valid for one year from the date of issue. The district maintains a complete list of approved volunteers. Approved volunteers are required to sign in at the front office of schools, present a valid photo ID when asked, and wear a volunteer tag while in the building.
School Volunteer Required Documents: Links to the state’s websites are below. Please see the helpful hints next to each link.
PA Access to Criminal History Record Check - This clearance is completed online and is instantly available for you to save and print. Choose New Record Check Volunteer Only. Click the control number to view your results. Click the "Certificatie" link to view, save and print your official certificate with the state seal.
PA Child Abuse History Certification - Click "Create Individual Account". The Keystone Key is a user name you create. Follow the site's step-by-step instructions for creating a password. Be sure to keep a record of your Keystone Key and Password since you will need these to access your results. You will receive an email from the site when your results are available, within 14 days of submission. If you prefer to mail this form, please see FORM .
- FBI Fingerprinting Clearance (2 Options)
- If you have been a Pennsylvania resident fewer than 10 consecutive years, you must complete the fingerprinting process. Enroll at IdentoGO and make an appointment for fingerprinting at a location of your choice. The service code for VOLUNTEERS is 1KG6Y3. Payment is made at time of fingerprinting, at the location, by credit card or money order. Personal checks and cash are not accepted.
- If you have been a Pennsylvania resident for the past 10 consecutive years, you may submit the Volunteer Affidavit in place of fingerprinting. School personnel must witness the affidavit, so please visit the school building before signing.
- PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form (Act 24).
FREE MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING:
All persons having direct contact with school children should be trained as mandated reporters and understand the procedure to report reasonable suspicion of child abuse. As a SLSD volunteer, the district is required to OFFER Mandated Reporter training. While not required, we ask that you complete this training. Please see the informational and resource links below.
Free Mandated Reporter Training Certification
- The online training takes approximately three (3) hours to complete. Individuals do not need to complete the training in one sitting. The system is designed to allow you the option of competing the training over multiple periods of time.
- To register for the free online training, go to the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center website and click the Registration button. This will take you to a New User registration page. Please select “No” when asked if you are licensed or applying for a license through one of the following boards. After submitting your information, the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center will send you an email with your Username and Password.
Then follow the directions listed below:
- Type in your username and password
- Click “Login”
- Click on the hyperlink under the “Your Courses Section”
rrca-0299: Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse
- Click on the “Click Here” button
- Follow the directions to complete the course
- Print your certificate of completion
- Provide a copy of the certificate to the school.
Thank you for volunteering your time and services to our district and for understanding the importance of complying with these regulations.