College Testing Information
Suggested Timeline for College Testing:9th Grade
- No college testing is recommended by counselors.
- Sophomores may consider taking the PSAT. The PSAT is a 2-hour and 10-minute practice version of the SAT. Information regarding the PSAT as well as how to register is attached below.
- Students who are taking AP US History should consider taking the SAT Subject Test in U.S. History. It is best to take this test while the information is still "fresh." Subject Tests are required by some institutions for admission or placement purposes. It is best to check the websites of the individual colleges you are interested in to see what tests they require for admission.
- Juniors should plan to take the PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) in October.
- During the second semester of the junior year, it is recommended that students take the SAT and/or the ACT. Students may choose to take these tests once or twice during the junior year.
- SAT Subject Tests should be taken in May or June if the colleges you are interested in require them. The College Board website lists approximately 160 institutions that require or recommend the SAT Subject Tests for admission or placement purposes.
- Seniors may opt to take the ACT in September and/or the SAT in October in order to improve their scores.
- SAT Subject Tests should be taken in May or June if the colleges you are interested in require them.