General Unit Objectives:
- Use problem solving and critical thinking skills to design a scale model bridge.
- Apply math and science skills to solve mathematical problems
- Use brainstorming and collaborative learning strategies to develop team work skills
- Use modeling materials and tools to construct an operational scale model
- Use CAD to design a bridge structure and print a scale plan
- 3.1.10.D Apply scale as a way of relating concepts and ideas to one another by some measure. 3.2.10.D Identify and apply the technological design process to solve problems.
- 3.6.10.C Apply physical technologies of structural design, analysis and engineering, personnel relations, financial affairs, structural production, marketing, research and design to real world problems.
- 3.7.10.A Identify and safely use a variety of tools, basic machines, materials and techniques to solve problems and answer questions.
- 3.7.10.D Utilize computer software to solve specific problems.
- This challenge charges students to design and build a bridge that conforms to the specifications given during class
- Students will begin the challenge by completing internet research on various types of bridges, and to learn how forces act onto a bridge structure
- Students will begin their design by using the information found during their research to develop a rough sketch of their bridge
- After their rough sketch has been completed and approved, the students will create a detailed design on both West Point Bridge Designer and Rhino5 software packages
- Students will build their model bridge according plans printed from their Rhino drawing
- A load machine will then test students completed model bridge to its failure point
- Day 1: Introduction to design challenge, begin internet research
- Day 2: Complete internet research
- Day 3: West Point Bridge Designer introduction & tutorial
- Day 4: West Point Bridge Designer Challenge
- Day 5: Preliminary scaled sketches & design packet
- Day 6: Completed design packet, begin West Point Bridge Designer drawing
- Day 6: Rhino5 Introduction and completed West Point Bridge Designer drawing
- Day 7-8: Rhino completed scale drawing, export to Rhinoceros and CorelDraw
- Day 9-12: Construction of bridge
- Day 13: Test bridges
- Day 14-15: Reflection Power Point