General Unit Objectives:
- Use problem solving and critical thinking skills to design a Boomerang
- Apply math and science skills to solve mathematical problem
- Use brainstorming and collaborative learning strategies to develop team work skills
- Use modeling materials and tools to construct an operational scale model
- Use CAD to design a solution to a problem
- 3.1.10.D Apply scale as a way of relating concepts and ideas to one another by some measure. 3.2.10.D Identify and apply the technological design process to solve problems.
- 3.6.10.C Apply physical technologies of structural design, analysis and engineering, personnel relations, financial affairs, structural production, marketing, research and design to real world problems.
- 3.7.10.A Identify and safely use a variety of tools, basic machines, materials and techniques to solve problems and answer questions.
- 3.7.10.D Utilize computer software to solve specific problems.
- This challenge charges students to design and build a boomerang that conforms to the specifications given during class
will begin the challenge by completing internet research on various
types of boomerang, and to learn how forces affect its flight
- Students will begin their design
by using the information found during their research on boomerangs
- After their rough sketch has been completed and approved, the students will create a detailed design on Rhinoceros 3.0 software packages
- Students will build their boomerang according plans printed from their drawings
- Students will test their boomerang for functionality
- Science of Boomerangs: How to Make & Throw the Aussie Magic
- How Boomerangs Work
- Build your own Boomerang
- Mr. Dunston - Boomerang
- United States Boomerang Association
- Aerodynamics of Boomerang
- Build a boomerang