TIPS TO BUILD YOUR SPANISH VOCABULARY:
- STUDY COGNATES (& FALSE COGNATES) - Cognates are words that look or sound like a word you already know. You already know more than you think!
- USE SYNONYMS & ANTONYMS - They add variety to your vocabulary!
- READ! - Absorb as much as you can by reading many different types of materials.
- KEEP A LANGUAGE JOURNAL - Write about what you are learning. Keep a list of words that you do not know. Go back to early entries and see how much you've learned.
- FOLLOW NATIVE SPEAKERS ONLINE - Find celebrities that speak Spanish. What are they saying on social media? Great way to learn slang!
- LEARN ONE NEW WORD A DAY - There are several apps you can download to increase your vocabulary. Listen to the word. Repeat the word. Put it into practice.
- MUSIC - Find music you love on Spotify, YouTube, Pandora, etc.
- ORGANIZE - Keep all of your Spanish papers in one binder. It's easier to study when you know where everything is.
- WRITE IT OUT - Write vocabulary words on index cards, in your notebook, on a whiteboard, etc. in order to practice spelling.
- USE TECHNOLOGY - Using online tools such as Quizlet can help you with pronunciation.
- STUDY - Try to study for a few minutes every day so that you are not cramming the night before a test.
- ASK FOR HELP - Don't be embarrassed to ask for help! Don't wait until it is too late to ask for help!