Employee Background Checks
All applicants for employment with Pennsylvania public and private schools must undergo background checks in accordance with Pennsylvania School Code and the Child Protective Services law. Current and prospective employees are required to submit the following criminal justice information background checks and certifications:
Current employees are required to renew their Child Abuse History Certification, PA State Police Record Check and FBI Fingerprint History Check and a PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form every 60 months. Employees must inform the Human Resources Department of any crime indicated on a background check or certification. In accordance with Act 24 of 2011 and 82 of 2012, all school employees are required to report to the Superintendent or the Director of Human Resources within 72 hours of any arrest or conviction of a Reportable Offense listed in Section 111(e). The PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form (PDE-6004) shall be used to report these arrests or convictions. The law provides that willful failure to timely report any such arrest or conviction can result in termination of employment.
New employees, coaches, prospective employees, student teacher candidates, interns, contractors and their employees, are required to submit a PA Child Abuse History Certification, PA State Police Record Check, and FBI Fingerprint History Check, and a PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form. All background checks and certifications must be received prior to the start of employment. Employee background checks are valid for one year from the date of issue. Please inform the Human Resources Department any crime indicated on a background check or certification.
Additionally, in accordance with Act 168 of 2014 and in advance of employment all applicants must also provide a statement using the Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release form identifying whether s/he has been the subject of an abuse or sexual misconduct investigation, been disciplined, discharged, non-renewed, asked to resign from employment, resigned from or otherwise separated from employment while allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct were pending, and/or had a license, professional license or certificate suspended, surrendered or revoked while allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct were pending or under investigation or due to an adjudication or findings of abuse or sexual misconduct.
- PA Access to Criminal History Record Check (Act 34) - The State Police Check is completed online and is instantly available to save and print. Click the control number to view your results. Click the "Certificate" link to view, save and print your official certificate.
- PA Child Abuse History Certification (Act 151) - A Child Abuse History Certification may be completed online or by mailing a request form. To apply online, use the link and click either "Individual Login" or "Create Individual Account". If it is your first time visiting the site, you will be asked to create a Keystone ID user name. Follow the instructions to create a password. Be sure store your Keystone ID and password in a safe place for future use. You will receive an email when your results are available, or within 14 days of submission. If you prefer to request a certification by mail, please download the following form.
- FBI Fingerprint History Check (Act 114) - For employment and coaching purposes only. Enroll at IdentoGO and make an appointment for fingerprinting at a location of your choice. The code for EMPLOYMENT purposes is 1KG6XN. Only the PA Department of Education version is accepted for employment. Payment is made at time of fingerprinting, at the location, by credit card or money order. Personal checks and cash are not accepted. NOTE: Volunteer clearances are not acceptable for employment purposes.
- PA Arrest/Conviction Report & Certification (Act 24, PDE-6004) form.
- PA Sexual Abuse/Misconduct Disclosure form (Act 168). This is for successful employment candidates only. Do not send the Act 168 forms yourself. Please provide these completed forms to the Human Resources Department Administrative Assitant.