English/Language Arts Grade 8
Reading: Throughout the year we will be reading and discussing various novels, short stories, plays, and poems. The procedure for completing the works is as follows:
It is very important that you READ each assignment. If you do not understand the material, the class discussion will help. We will also focus on improving writing skills, reading comprehension, and higher order thinking skills. Another main area of the class will be vocabulary, particularly how to utilize new words in verbal and written contexts.
- reading for homework/classwork
- daily discussions
- writing assignments / quizzes
You need to bring the following materials to class EVERY DAY:
- A pencil
- 1 Spiral Notebook (with lined paper)
- Laptop (charged)
- Assignments will typically be a reading or writing activity.
- If you were in class the day homework was assigned, but forgot it (or didn’t do it), your grade will be a zero. You can not hand in late homework for reduced points.
- It is your responsibility to make up tests, quizzes and homework that you missed!
- If you lose your rubric or forget to attach it to the assignment, I will supply you with another, but I will also deduct points.
I am looking forward to a wonderful school year. You should be too! If you are struggling with class content, please come see me for extra help. Through our class, I hope to inspire, encourage, and empower all of you. We will be reading many important and interesting works throughout the year. If you come prepared and work hard, you will learn a great deal. You might even have fun in the process; yes, in English class! Make the most of this year by trying your best and coming to class with a positive attitude.
Log into Google Classroom to access rubrics and class materials. If guardians would like to be added to the Google Classroom e-mail list, please me let know!