Tutorial Services and Programs for Students who are Struggling
Please contact the SLMS Guidance Office if you have questions concerning any of the following programs.
Tier I: Supports available/offered to all Students:
- NHS (SLHS) group homework help
Online Homework Club by National Honor Society (NHS) High School Students. Use the links below to find more information and to sign up for online tutoring.
Direct Links to Tutoring Sign-ups:
- Sapphire tutorial to setup grade monitoring
- Lunch Time Study Hall - Students can sign up for this study hall the day they want to participate. This is offered on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Access to Guidance Office Services
- November Teacher conferences
Information for sign-ups will be sent out to parents.
- Friday Teacher office hours
Every Friday 9:00 am- 10:00 am & 1:00 pm- 2:00 pm
- Social-Emotional Learning lessons and activities provided through Spartan Period 2-3 days a week.
- NJHS Tutoring: National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) students are available to tutor in different subject areas. If you are interested in working with an 8th grade NJHS student, please contact Mrs. Halloran at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Hines at email@example.com for more information.
- Saturday Morning Study Hall -
As part of an Academic Intervention, the SLMS is going to offer Saturday Morning Study hall taking place from 7:30 am - 10:30 am. This study hall will be monitored by teacher(s) and limited to (10) students for each teacher. The study hall will provide an effective learning environment for students to focus on academic assignments. Parents need to sign up their child by Thursday before the study hall is scheduled. Each child needs their own spot, so parents will need to sign up each child individually.
There are limited spots available and they will be filled on a "first-come, first-served" basis. Students should bring a fully charged laptop and ALL materials needed to complete their work during the study hall. Students will be required to arrive on time and remain for the entire session. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for transportation.
You will sign your student up by clicking on this Signup Genius link
Tier II: Supports available/offered to students deficient/failing in 1 course.
- All supports listed in Tier I list above.
- Caron Foundation Group Services: Students have the opportunity to participate in groups with a facilitator from the Caron Foundation. Students can participate in these groups based on need, regardless of academic success. Please contact the MS Guidance Office or Mrs. Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in receiving more information for these groups.
- Possible group offerings include:
- Anger Management
- Changing Families
- Grief and Loss
- Kids of Promise®: for students impacted by the substance use disorder/addiction of a loved one
- Project CONNECT®: for students trying to reduce or quit the use of nicotine
- Stress Management
- Teen Intervene: for students who have acknowledged using substances
- Teen Issues
- Middle School Academic Study Hall - Afterschool Study Hall Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2:45 pm - 3:45 pm - Parents can sign their child up for an Afterschool study hall via sign-up Genius. Sign-ups need to be done one day in advance.
Please contact the MS main office for more information.
- Parent-Teacher Friday conferences - On most Fridays, Teachers will be able to meet with parents virtually. Please contact the MS Guidance office or Mrs. Cooper at email@example.com if you are interested in setting up a virtual conference for your child.
Tier III: Supports available/offered to students deficient/failing in 2 or more courses.
- All supports listed in Tier I and Tier II lists above.
- Project SUCCESS - This is a mentoring program offered by SLMS in conjunction with the Center for Humanistic Change. Students meet in a virtual group with the mentor from the Center for Humanistic Change weekly. The mentor will be meeting with students to discuss topics such as but not limited to, coping skills, strategies for school success, motivational strategies, and how to identify and resist social or situational pressures. For more information on this program please contact the MS Guidance office or email Mrs. Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spartan Period Study Hall
- SLMS Student Assistance Program (SAP)
- The SLMS Child Study Team (CST) - A team of individuals at the middle school convene to discuss students who are struggling academically, socially, and/or emotionally and work to put supports in place to assist that student. If you are interested in having your child added to the Child Study Team list, please email Mrs. Cooper, email@example.com or Mrs. Rich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Study Skills Groups offered through the Guidance office - Throughout the year, students who are academically struggling can participate in a study skills support group. This group is offered to students who are failing 2 or more courses at any time during the year. If you would like your child to participate in one of these support groups, please contact Mrs. Cooper at email@example.com.