Students taking AP Courses are required to join their AP classes on the College Board website. Teachers use these online resources for some of their class assignments. In order to join their class, they must obtain a Join Code from their teachers.
Prior to Joining Your Class: Create a College Board Account
- All students need to have a College Board account in order to register for AP classes and exams.
- Students should go to collegeboard.org and click on the Sign Up button to create an account.
- This account should be created by the student and utilizes a non-school e-mail address. This account will follow you after your high school career.
- If you already have a College Board account, ensure that you can log-in successfully.
- DO NOT create multiple College Board accounts. If you need help accessing your account, please visit their Account Help Page.
Join AP Classes in College Board
- Log into your College Board account and go to AP Student.
- Students should click on the yellow “Join a Course or Exam” button and enter the unique Join Code provided to them by their teacher. Follow the steps to complete registration.
- IMPORTANT: The information entered here will be entered onto answer sheets for any AP exams taken. Make sure the information is entered accurately.
- Students cannot join their classes without their Join Codes. This should be completed for all AP courses by October 6th, 2023.
The 2024 AP Exams will be administered between May 6 - May 17, 2024. Exams will be in the traditional paper and pencil format except for the listed exams, which will be digital. The exact date and time of each exam can be found on the AP section of the College Board website (or below). Southern Lehigh High School does not register students for exams or take payment. Ordering and payment will be done completely through the online services, Total Registration and through the student’s College Board account.
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP English Language
- AP English Literature
- AP U.S. History
- AP World History
This year each AP exam costs $102.00.
Sign up for AP Classes in Total Registration and Pay for Exams
- Total Registration will open on August 28, 2023.
- Begin the process by registering at www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/390830. If you have registered for an AP exam in the past, please use the same account to register this year.
- Any exam fees will be paid online, so be sure to have a debit card or credit card available before beginning registration.
- Registration is not complete until students have reached the confirmation page.
- Registration for the AP exam is due by November 1, 2023 (with payment due no later than November 14, 2023).
- If a student requests a fee waiver, they will not be able to pay until it's approved by the office first.
- Last day to cancel an exam and receive a partial refund is March 8, 2024.
- Registration Ends March 8, 2024 and this is the last day to make payments. Any exams not paid for by this date will be canceled and not ordered.
**Note for students who do not attend Southern Lehigh High School: For students that reside in the Southern Lehigh School District but do not attend our high school, please go through the school that you are attending to take any AP Exams. We cannot accommodate students who live outside of the Southern Lehigh School District to take exams at our high school.
- August 28, 2023 - Registration Opens in Total Registration
- Oct 6, 2023 - Create and Sign-in to your College Board Account. Join all of your AP courses.
- Nov 1, 2023 – Students must indicate in College Board that they are/are not taking the exam. Students must see the counseling office after this date to make changes.
- Nov 14, 2023 - Registrations and payments after this date will incur a $40, non-refundable late fee per exam.
- March 8, 2024 - Last day to cancel an exam and receive a full refund (with the exception of any late fees which are non-refundable).
- March 8, 2024 - Last day to register with a late fee.
Why Should I Take an AP Exam?
Taking the Advanced Placement exams is an important part of all AP courses. Scoring well on an AP exam can often earn students college credit for their high school class, saving a significant amount on tuition.
Stand Out in College Admissions
Deciding to take an AP course lets colleges and universities know that you have what it takes to succeed in an undergraduate environment. When admissions officers see “AP” on your transcript, they know that what you experienced in a particular class has prepared you well for the challenges of college. Taking AP is a sign that you’re up for the most rigorous classes your high school has to offer.
Earn College Credits
By taking an AP course and scoring successfully on the related AP Exam, you can save on college expenses: most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both, for qualifying AP Exam scores. These credits can allow students to save college tuition, study abroad, or secure a second major. AP can transform what once seemed unattainable into something within reach. (AP Website, 2017)