Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks prior to volunteering. For new volunteers, background checks must be dated within 1 year of issue to be acceptable. Once approved as a voluneer, clearances remain valid for five years from the date of issue. The district maintains a complete list of approved volunteers. Approved volunteers are required to sign in at the front office of schools, present a valid photo ID when asked, and wear a volunteer tag while in the building. Thank you for your interest and volunteer service to SLSD!
The following information is intended for general classroom, school, and field trip volunteers. If you are paid for your work with SLSD through a district, parent, or student fund account you are not considered a volunteer. Volunteer coaches must submit Employment Clearances.
The following volunteer background checks are required:
- Federal Criminal History Record
- Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
All clearances must be verifiable by the school district. Please keep personal copies of background checks as the District will be unable to provide you with copies.
Federal Criminal History Record
Fee as of 1/1/2019: $23.85 - Payment is made online at the time of registration by credit or debit card. No cash or personal checks are accepted.
- Applicants must register online with IdentoGO before visiting the fingerprint center.
- Enter the code 1KG6Y3.
- Report to a fingerprint center. Center locations can be found on the IdentoGO website.
- Record your UE ID registration number (a series of letters and numbers). You will need to provide this to the school district for verificaiton purposes.
- PDE will receive the Federal Criminal History Report from the FBI. You will receive an unofficial copy by mail. The District cannot provide you with an official copy.
Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check
Fee: FREE to volunteers - PA residents may apply online or by mail.
Online Applicaiton for PA Residents:
- Visit PSP (PA State Police Record Check).
- Cick the YELLOW link, "New Record Check Volunteers Only." You must name Southern Lehigh School District as the organization for which you will be volunteering.
- Immediately print your report (requests made online will not be mailed to applicants).
Applicaiton for Out of State and PA Residents who apply by mail:
- First obtain your FBI clearance (see above).
- Go to Help PSP (PA Criminal History Check) to download form SP4-164A to submit a request. You must name Southern Lehigh School District as the organization for which you will be volunteering. Mail to Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository-164A, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9758. If you request clearances by mail it may take several weeks.
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
Fee: FREE to volunteers one time within a 5 year period - Applicants may apply online or by mail.
- Login or Create an Account to apply online using the PA Child Welfare Portal. If it is your first time visiting the site, you will be asked to create a Keystone ID user name. Follow the instructions to create a password. Be sure store your Keystone ID and password in a safe place for future use.
- Use your current address, and the check the purpose of clearance.
- Your results may be immediate. If not, you can log in at a later time to view the status of your results. You will be mailed a copy of your results.
Applications by mail:
- Complete PA Child Abuse History Certificaiton CY113 form or Spanish version CY113 form and send it to the ChildLine and Abuse Registry, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, P.O. Box 8170, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8170.
PA Arrest/Certification Report and Certification (PDE-6004) Form and Notification Requirement:
Individuals seeking to volunteer in SLSD must also sign a PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification (PDE-6004) form. Approved volunteers must report to the Superintendent or the Director of Human Resources within 72 hours of any arrest or conviction of a Reportable Offense listed in Section 111(e). Failure to make a timely report of any such arrest or conviction may result in rescinding of volunteer privileges.
Turning in Background Checks
Interested volunteers are invited to submit required background checks (clearances) at the following time and location:
- Tuedays and Thursdays between the hours of 8:30AM and 3:30PM.
- SLSD Central Office Administration Building, 5775 Main Street, Center Valley, PA. Please report to the Business/Human Resources Offices.
- Paperwork must be presented in person and include all required clearances (incomplete paperwork will not be accepted).
- Individuals with unacceptable or incomplete clearances are not qualified to volunteer or chaperone.
- Paperwork must be received at least one week in advance of volunteering for a planned event.
Please understand that due to the confidential nature of criminal justice paperwork, clearances cannot be accepted at any of our school building offices. Copies will be secured and originals returned. Be sure to keep your original copies in a safe location. The District will be unable to provide you with future copies.
District volunteers have an obligation to report any arrest or conviction of an offense that may constitute grounds for denying participation as a volunteer to the Human Resources Office within 72 hours using the PA Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification form above.
Free Child Abuse Report Training
All persons having direct contact with school children should be trained as mandated reporters and understand the procedure to report reasonable suspicion of child abuse. As a SLSD volunteer, the district is required to OFFER Mandated Reporter training. While not required, we ask that you complete this training. Please see the informational and resource links below.
Free Mandated Reporter Training Certification
- The online training takes approximately three (3) hours to complete. Individuals do not need to complete the training in one sitting. The system is designed to allow you the option of competing the training over multiple periods of time.
- To register for the free online training, go to the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center website and click the Registration button. This will take you to a New User registration page. Please select “No” when asked if you are licensed or applying for a license through one of the following boards. After submitting your information, the Pennsylvania Child Resource Center will send you an email with your Username and Password.
Then follow the directions listed below:
- Type in your username and password
- Click “Login”
- Click on the hyperlink under the “Your Courses Section”
rrca-0299: Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse
- Click on the “Click Here” button
- Follow the directions to complete the course
- Print your certificate of completion
- Provide a copy of the certificate to the school.
Thank you for volunteering your time and services to our district and for understanding the importance of complying with these regulations.