Workers' Compensation

  • What is Workers’ Compensation?

    PA's no fault compensation law is intended to guarantee prompt, automatic benefits to employees who sustain an injury or illness as a result of their employment.

    The school districts in our county area are self-insured for workers' compensation benefits. The School District Insurance Consortium program (SDIC) is responsible for all benefit coordination for district employees who sustain an injury or illness arising out of and in the course and scope of their employment.

    Who is entitled to benefits?

    If an injury or illness occurs as a result of your employment you are entitled to workers' compensation benefits. With few exceptions, all Pennsylvania employers are subject to State Workers' Compensation laws.

    How are benefits claimed? What do I do if I am injured?

    If you suffer a work-related injury, your health and wellbeing are our first concern. If the injury is of a serious nature, seek immediate medical attention. If necessary contact rescue personnel. If the injury is of a less serious nature, follow the steps below.

    1. Immediately report your injury to your supervisor and the building nurse if in a school building. 
    2. Contact Anna LeBoeuf in Human Resources at 610-282-3121, ext. 5112.
    3. Complete the SDIC Workers Compensation packet linked below. 
    4. Call SDIC at (800) 445-6965, ext. 2101. Report the incident/injury to initiate the claim filing process. Information and facts about the injury will be gathered by a claims coordinator.
    5. Complete and return the associated employee claim forms as per the packet's instructions. 
    6. SLSD or our insurer will pay for reasonable surgical and medical services, supplies, and appliances when needed. In order to ensure payment of medical treatment, you must be seen by a panel approved healthcare provider. Please see the attached directions and list of approved healthcare providers.  

    NOTE: If you do not believe your injury requires medical treatment and do not wish to file a claim, please complete the Workers Compensation Report form found in the packet linked below and send it to HR to be kept on file. 


    Return to work process for injured employees.

    After a work-related injury occurs and medical evaluation and treatment has been provided, a physician will determine your ability to return to work with or without restrictions.  You may be...

    • released to full duty,
    • released with work restrictions or limitations for a temporary period of time, or
    • not released for work.

    If released to full duty, you will return to your regular job duties. If released with work restrictions or limitations, the claims coordinator will work with the District to determine if it is possible for you to return to your job duties in a modified work assignment. If continued medical treatment or follow-up care is needed, you will attend scheduled physician appointments until a physician releases you to full duty or the District can no longer provide you with a temporary work assignment. If you do not feel that you are medically able to perform the temporary work assignment, which is based on the physician's evaluation, you must immediately contact the workers' compensation claims coordinator. If the district is unable to provide you with a temporary work assignment, you will receive temporary total disability benefits through Workers' Compensation while you are temporarily medically unable to work and remain off work duty due to your workers' compensation injury.

    Workers’ compensation fraud is a felony.

    Anyone who makes or causes to be made any knowingly false or fraudulent material statement for the purpose of obtaining or denying workers' compensation benefits or payments may be guilty of a felony.