Level I to Level II
Pennsylvania has two levels of certification. The initial certificate, Level I, is valid for six service years, during which time you must complete established requirements. Upon completion of those requirements, a Level I may be converted to a Level II certificate. If not converted, the initial Level I certificate lapses, and you may not be employed in a Pennsylvania public school.
If you have been teaching in Pennsylvania on a Level I certificate for three to six years and have earned 24 post-baccalaureate credits, you may be eligible to apply for a Level II certificate assuming the following conditions are met:
- Six of the 24 post-baccalaureate credits must be associated with your area(s) of certification and/or must be designed to improve professional practice
- You must have three years of satisfactory service on a Level I certificate, verified by the chief school administrator of the employing school entity
- You must have completed a PDE induction program verified by the chief school administrator of your employing entity
For specific questions and more information concerning what service counts toward a Level II certificate, please reference the links below:
HOW TO APPLY FOR LEVEL II CERTIFICATION
Your application for Level II certification must be submitted through the TIMS Educator Online Certification System.
- Login to TIMS, complete your application online and pay the required fee (note: if using TIMS for the first time, register by clicking the link in the lower left corner).
- Submit any required documentation directly to PDE (i.e. cover sheet and official transcripts).
- Ask your supervisor to complete the PDE 427 Instructional I to Instructional II Assessment and submit it to Human Resources.
- Once Human Resources receives the completed and signed PDE 427 Assessment, we will certify your work history and completion of Induction in TIMS.
- Once your Level II certification is issued, email Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we may update your personnel file. PDE does not notify the school district.
Please contact the Human Resources Department with any questions regarding certification.